Verona and several neighboring towns were all originally one town known as the Horseneck Tract. In 1702, a group of settlers left Newark and purchased a large tract of land northwest of their home city for the equivalent of a few hundred dollars from the Lenni Lenape Native Americans. This piece of land extended west and north to the Passaic River, south to the town center of what would become Livingston, and east to the First Watchung Mountain, and was called Horseneck by the natives because it resembled the neck and head of a horse. By the mid-19th century, the area of Caldwell to the east of today's Caldwell Borough and Montclair became known as Vernon Valley. However, when application was made for a United States Post Office, the townspeople were informed that another Vernon Valley, in Sussex County, had first claim to the name. The name Verona was put forth by the townspeople as a suitable alternative and was eventually accepted. On February 17, 1892, the citizens of Verona voted to secede from Caldwell Township to form Verona Township.
Town Name: Verona
City Hall: Verona City Hall
Address: 600 Bloomfield Ave., Verona NJ 07044
Phone Number: 973-239-3220
Land Area: 2.9 square miles
Distance to NYC: 21 miles
Town Website: http://www.veronanj.org/
Library Website: http://www.veronalibrary.org/
Water Service: Passaic Valley
Gas & Electric: P.S.E. & G.
The dissemination of listings on this website does not constitute the consent required by N.J.A.C. 11:5.6.1 (n) for the advertisement of listings exclusively for sale by another broker. Any such consent must be obtained in writing from the listing broker.
Copyright © 2021 Garden State Multiple Listing Service, L.L.C. All rights reserved.